Dear Ross Families,
Believe it or not, the new school year is quickly approaching. Construction is wrapping up on the beautiful new playground and field, the interior of the school has been freshly painted and there is a flurry of activity in the classrooms this week as teachers pop in and out to bring supplies, plan with colleagues, and prepare for the new year.
We look forward to seeing everyone at Open House on Friday, August 23 at 3:00pm.
Meet your teachers, visit your classroom, and enjoy a popsicle on the new playground.
We will have a variety of free uniform clothing items available. If you have clean uniform clothing to donate, please bring it to our swap on Friday. In addition to uniform items, students may wear their Ross t-shirts (including field day shirts) and sweatshirts to school.
First Day of School is Monday, August 26 for all K-5 students.
First Day for PK4 is Thursday, August 29.
Breakfast will open at 8:15am. K-5 students will line up outside on the field and teachers will escort classes into the building at 8:40am. Please note: parents do not escort students into class except for PK4.
August Birthdays will be celebrated on Friday, August 30 at the end of the day.
We are currently close to our enrollment projection with 178/181 students enrolled.
We expect additional families to enroll over the next few weeks. Current class sizes:
K-1: 64 (35 in K; 30 in 1st)
Grade 2: 26
Grade 3: 26
Grade 4: 25
Grade 5: 17
I am excited to announce that we are fully staffed with the addition of the following new hires:
- Graham Humphrey: K-1 Educational Aide
- Tyler Martin: Grade 3 Educational Aide
- Danny Offermann: Special Education/Inclusion Teacher
- Julianne Price: Grade 2 Co-Teacher/Academic Support
We are finalizing a long-term sub for Grades 4-5 STEM. We have a candidate in-process of being hired.
- Order your child’s school supply package before the first day of school. Go to the home page of our website www.rosselementary.organd follow the link for online ordering. You will be able to join the PTA and purchase school sportswear at the August 23 Open House and during the first week of school.
- Bring all outstanding medical and dental forms to school. If your child requires medication and/or an Epi-pen at school, please check in with the Nurse and bring all required paperwork from the pediatrician.
- Complete DCPS Volunteer Clearance to be permitted to chaperone field trips and volunteer regularly in school.
- Send your child to school with a labeled water bottle (water is the only beverage permitted in the bottle).
- Ross remains a “NUT FREE” campus. Do not send any nut products/ingredients to school.
We look forward to another great school year of joyful learning. Enjoy these last few weeks of vacation. As always, please reach out with any questions/concerns.
Holly Searl, Principal
Dear Ross Families:
We hope you are enjoying the remainder of your Summer! We are looking forward to seeing you on the playground for popsicles in just two weeks. Please read on for a few updates from the PTA.
2019-2020 School Supplies
Please do not forget to purchase school supplies for this school year. The Ross PTA is once again collecting $100 per student for school supplies, all of which goes directly to teachers to allow them to purchase the items they need for their classrooms. This allows the teachers to get exactly what they require and saves parents that pesky Summer trip to Target to gather specific notebooks and folders. To date, we have collected only 49 packages. You can pay your school supply fees online here.
Girls on the Run Registration
The Girls on the Run (GOTR) program at Ross Elementary school is an amazing youth development program that trains girls in grades 3rd to 5th to run a 5k. Participant registration is now live and families can register here: https://www.raceplanner.com/register/index/GOTRDCFall2019Registration
Registration will close on September 22nd!
6th Annual DC Parent and Family Engagement Summit
The Office of the State Superintendent of Education (OSSE) is pleased to announce that the sixth Annual DC Parent and Family Engagement Summit will be held on Saturday, Sept. 28, 2019, from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center. Breakfast and lunch will be served. The event is FREE for all DC parents to attend.
Friday, August 23
*Open House ‘Sneak-a-Peek’ & Popsicles on the Playground, 3pm
Monday, August 26
*First Day of School, K-5
Thursday, August 29
*First Day of School, PK4
Friday, August 30
*Free Dress Day
*August Birthday Celebrations
Monday, September 2
*No School (Labor Day)
Tuesday, September 3
*Back to School Night (Grades 2-5), 6pm
Wednesday, September 4
*First Day of Fillmore
*Back to School Night (Grades PK-1), 6pm
Wednesday, September 11
*PTA General Body Meeting, 5:30pm
*PTA Back to School Picnic, 6:30pm
The Ross PTA EB