Dear Ross Families:
Thank you to the countless volunteers (and your enthusiastic, energetic, and enterprising kids!) who helped with our annual Mother’s & Father’s Day Book Drive this past weekend and especially to co-chairs, Valerie Kindt and Eugenie Agia, for organizing such a successful event!
PTA Board Nominations Now Being Accepted!
It is time once again to recruit candidates for the Ross Elementary School PTA Executive Board for the 2019-2020 school year.
We ask that everyone, including sitting members, submit their interest for service next year. If you are interested in serving on the Executive Board, or know of someone who would be an ideal recruit, you can make a nomination by e-mailing PTA President, Kate Gardner, at email@example.com or submit this form to the office. Please submit your suggestions by Monday, May 13th. Position descriptions are below and current EB members are happy to answer your questions about what each position entails.
We will identify a slate of officer and at-large member candidates and present to the membership at the next PTA General Meeting on Wednesday, May 15th. At the meeting, nominations may also be made from the floor, per our bylaws.
Executive Board Positions
The PTA Executive Board is comprised of elected officers and at-large members. It meets once per month to conduct PTA business. General meetings for the entire membership are scheduled generally four times per year: September, November, February, and in May to elect officers & approve next year’s budget.
- President: The president shall preside over all meetings of the organization to include general PTA meetings and executive board meetings. The president shall be the chair of the executive committee, serve as the primary contact for the principal and faculty, represent the organization at meetings outside the organization, coordinate the work of all officers and committees so that the purpose of the organization is served. (Effort: year-round, on-going)
- Vice President: The vice president shall assist the president and carry out the president’s duties in his or her absence. The VP shall help ensure successful Fall Membership Drive event. (Effort: year-round, time varies depending upon roles)
- Secretary: The secretary shall keep all records of the organization, take and record minutes, work with the president to prepare meeting agendas, handle correspondence, and send meeting notices as required. The secretary also keeps a copy of the organization’s minutes, bylaws, rules, membership list, and any other necessary information, and brings them to all meetings. (Effort: 3-4 hours per month, includes attending meeting and typing up minutes)
- Treasurer: The treasurer shall receive all funds of the organization, keep an accurate record or receipts and expenditures and pay out funds in accordance with the approved budget. He or she will present a financial statement at every executive committee and general PTA meeting and will make a final report at the end of the year. He or she will also ensure that all required federal and District filings (i.e., 990) are filed in a timely manner each year. (Effort: 4-5 hours per month, average)
- Lower School Representative: The lower school representative shall be responsible for handling various matters and projects related to lower school activities, acts as a liaison with parents/guardians of children in PK through 1st grades, and acts as a voting member of the board. The Lower School Rep. shall partner with the Tree Sale Committee Chair to help ensure successful Holiday Tree & Bake Sale event. The Lower School Rep. is responsible for overseeing and managing the End-of-Year Picnic. (Effort: 2 hours per month; 5 to 10 hours in December; 5 hours in June)
- Upper School Representative: The upper grade representative shall be responsible for handling various matters and projects related to upper school activities, acts a liaison with parents/guardians of children in grades 2 through 5, and acts as a voting member of the board. The Upper School Rep. shall partner with the Auction Committee Chair to ensure successful Auction event. The Upper School Rep. is responsible for overseeing and managing the Back-to-School Picnic. (Effort: 2 hours per month; 5 hours in September; 5 -10 hours near auction time)
The Ross PTA has established several committees to help foster a greater sense of community and secure critical funds to support the students, teachers and staff. Committee chairs are responsible for the purchasing of supplies and equipment within the allocated budget for their events and oversight and management of volunteers for the successful execution of the event. The PTA Board assists with the recruitment of volunteers to not place an undue burden on the committee chairs. Please let us know if you are interested in chairing or serving as a committee member!
- Holiday Tree Sale
- Holiday Bake Sale
- Mother’s and Father’s Day Book Drive
- Open House
- Teacher Appreciation (occurs in April/May)
- Community Service/Social Justice Committee
Le Diplomate Glacé Fundraiser, Saturday, May 11, 12:30 – 2:30 p.m.
Every year, Le Diplomate brings a vintage, tricycle ice cream cart to the corner of 14th + Q Streets, NW (right in front of their restaurant) and sells Glacé, a French-style ice cream, made by their pastry chefs. This year, they are going to partner with us and invite children from Ross to help scoop special ice cream in our school’s colors (Pistachio glacé and Cream cheese glacé!) prepared by their pastry chefs and will donate all proceeds from that ice cream sale to the PTA. More details to follow!
Teacher Appreciation Week
We will celebrate our amazing teachers and staff from Monday, May 20 – Friday, May 24 this year. More details will follow about all the ways that our families can participate this year. We could always more assistance; if you would like to join the Teacher Appreciation Committee, please get in touch! We appreciate your support!
Ross Night Out at Audi Field, D.C. United v. Real Betis, Wednesday, March 22, 8pm
Celebrate with friends and family while enjoying the international friendly match between D.C. United and Real Betis at Audi Field. Buy one ticket, get one free! Look for flyers in your child’s student folder this week.
|Friday, May 3|
*PTA Board Meeting, 8:45am
Saturday, May 11
*Le Diplomate Glace Fundraiser, 12:30 – 2:30pm
Wednesday, May 15
*PTA General Body Meeting, Elections & Budget, 6pm
Friday, May 17
Fillmore’s The Really Big Art Show and Concert (Big Art 5-7pm, Concert 7-8pm)
Monday, May 20 – Friday, May 24
*Teacher Appreciation Week
Wednesday, May 22
*Ross Night Out at Audi Field: D.C. United v. Real Betis, 8pm (Flyers Forthcoming)
Friday, May 24
*Free Dress Day
*Student Led Conferences