Teacher Appreciation Week 2019!
Dear Ross Families:
This week is our Ross Teacher Appreciation Week! Let us show our teachers and staff how much they are loved & appreciated!
To celebrate and thank our amazing teachers and staff, the Teacher Appreciation Committee has the following planned for the remainder of the week:
- Tomorrow, Tuesday, May 21: “Thanks for Helping Me Bloom This Year” : Bring a flower to the staff & teachers for each of your child(ren)’sclass assignment. (Note that Grade 4 will bring in flowers on Wednesday due to their field trip). Please be sure to spread the love between all staff members; you child will have time at drop-off and during morning meeting to deliver flowers. Here is a gift tag that you can attach.
- Wednesday, May 22: “Thanks for Being So Sweet & Making Me A Smart Cookie” Day – Cookies, Brownies, & Other Sweets. Please let us know if you would like to bring something in to contribute!
- Thursday, May 23: Annual Teacher Appreciation Breakfast Buffet,coordinated by parent, Patricia Villamil. Please sign up to contribute here: (https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0c48aead2ea5fe3-teacher)
- Friday, May 24: Thank You Cards & Journal Delivery: For the past couple of years, we’ve bought journals for the kids (& parents) to write notes of appreciation to their teachers, staff, & specialists. Your family should have received a handful of note cards in your student’s green folder. Please have your student write a note, draw a picture, et cetera, for each of their assigned teachers and staff. These will be pasted into a journal and given to teachers on Friday. **Please return these notes NO LATER THAN THURSDAY; there is an envelope in the office or you can leave them at the table on Wednesday morning at drop-off.
- Thursday, May 30: Staff Happy Hour at Lauriol Plaza
Thank you for your help in celebrating our Ross teachers!
2019-2020 PTA Board
The Ross PTA membership elected officers for next year’s PTA Executive Board on May 15.
President: Kate Gardner
Vice President: Alison Brody
Secretary: Jenny McAllister
Treasurer: Owen Ozier
Lower Grade Representative: Amit Thakkar
Upper Grade Representatives: Mikita Taylor & Debra Olson
2019-2020 Local School Advisory Team
Elections for the LSAT parent positions were also held at the May 15 PTA meeting. Stefanie Schneider was elected; Daniel Adler, Neha Misra, and Debra Olson will continue for a second year; and PTA President, Kate Gardner, will continue to serve.
Thank you to these individuals for their willingness to take a leadership role at Ross.
2019-2020 Committee Chairs
There are many more opportunities to get involved! The Ross PTA has established several committees to help foster a greater sense of community and secure critical funds to support our students and we are looking for chairs (or co-chairs). Committee chairs are responsible for the purchasing of supplies and equipment within the allocated budget for their events and oversight and management of volunteers for the successful execution of the event. The PTA Board assists with the recruitment of volunteers to not place an undue burden on the committee chairs. Please reach out for more information or with interest!
- Holiday Tree Sale
- Holiday Bake Sale
- Mother’s and Father’s Day Book Drive
- Open House
- Teacher Appreciation (occurs in April/May)
- Community Service/Social Justice
- Parent Education Committee
- Fillmore Arts Center Liaison
Garden Refresh: Wednesday, May 22, 9am
Volunteers from Marriott will be here this Wednesday to refresh our garden starting at 9am. Please email if you would like to help; there will be coffee and breakfast treats.
Plan to visit the “Story House Book Trolley” at Ross on Friday, May 24 between 8am-12pm. Families may purchase books for home libraries and summer reading. www.storyhouseonline.com
End of Year Potluck Picnic: Wednesday, June 5, 6pm
Please join students, parents, teachers, and staff to celebrate the end of the school year with an international potluck picnic. If you plan to attend the picnic, please bring you favorite dish from your home country; sign up details to follow. Entertainment and pizza provided by the Ross PTA.
Seeking Volunteer to Lead the Ross Contingent at the DC Pride Parade
For many years, Ross has participated in the D.C. Pride Parade, which will be held this year on Saturday, June 8th. The PTA Board is looking for someone to coordinate Ross’ efforts to participate this year. If you would like to volunteer or would like more information, please email.
DCPS School Food Advisory Board Meeting
Date and Time: Monday, June 3 from 5:30-7:30PM
Location: Roosevelt High School
Topic: Food quality
The DCPS School Food Advisory Board meetings provide a collaborative space for DCPS Food and Nutrition Services Leadership and their food service providers (DC Central Kitchen and SodexoMAGIC) to share updates and recieve feedback from their school community. The meetings are open to the public and are typically attended by parents, teachers, students, and concerned citizens from around the city. Dinner is included, and Spanish translation is available.
The topic for this meeting is food quality. The bulk of the meeting will focus on DCPS’s adoption of the Good Food Purchasing Program! This program supports large public institutions’ food purchasing in five areas: local economies, environmental sustainability, valued workforce, animal welfare and nutrition. At the upcoming meeting, DCPS will release their baseline assessment, which provides scores in each value category, and will solicit feedback from attendees about their implementation plan.
DC’s adoption of GFPP, which was signed into law last December as part of the Healthy Students Amendment Act, has the potential to radically change DC’s procurement processes and will help to integrate higher quality, more sustainable foods into our school meal program. DCPS is only the 9th school district, and the first on the East Coast to adopt these standards, and DCPS wants to make sure that they respond to the baseline assessment in a way that is in line with community values and priorities. This meeting will be your best chance to provide input on this process in its earliest stages. We hope to see many of you there and hear what you think!
|Monday, May 20 – Friday, May 24|
*Teacher Appreciation Week
Wednesday, May 22
*Ross Garden Refresh, 9am
*Ross Night Out at Audi Field: D.C. United v. Real Betis, 8pm
Friday, May 24
*Free Dress Day
*Student Led Conferences
*Story House Trolley Visit, 8am-12pm
Monday, May 27-Tuesday, May 28
*No School (Memorial Day & Professional Development Day)
Wednesday, May 29
*Welcome Coffee for New Families, 9am
Friday, May 31
*Free Dress Day
*May Classroom Birthday Celebrations
Wednesday, June 5
*Final Due Date for Ross Library Books
*End of Year PTA Potluck Picnic, 6pm