Dear Ross Families:
We are fortunate to have a wonderful group of teachers and staff at Ross that are so dedicated to guiding our children through their elementary school experience. We are also fortunate to have a strong community of highly engaged parent volunteers who work closely with our school to create an exceptional environment for Ross students.
This is my sixth year at Ross, with a child in 3rd grade and another entering Kindergarten, and my fifth year on the Ross PTA Executive Board. In my time here, I have seen the essential role that the PTA plays in facilitating the quality education of our students. The PTA raises more than $155,000 annually to provide the support that Principal Searl, the Ross Staff, and our children depend upon. We cannot meet our fundraising goals each year without help from you, the Ross families. Whether it is donating your time or your talents to one of our committees or making a monetary donation, please consider supporting our Ross students through the PTA. We have a number of fun events planned for our students and families this year and I look forward to working with all of you. The PTA is absolutely a team effort that starts with each of you, so if you have any suggestions or ideas about how we can do things better, please let us know.
PTA President 2018-2020
Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Email any of the Executive Board Members or leave a note in the PTA mailbox (top drawer of the file cabinet in the hallway outside the school office) and join us at our quarterly PTA General Body Meetings (agenda suggestions are welcome).
The mission of the Ross School PTA is to fully support the Ross Elementary School faculty and staff so that they can create the best, most productive, educational experiences possible for the students. The PTA does that by fundraising to support Ross students, staff, and teachers and by organizing events for Ross families to create a sense of community at our school. We hope that all Ross families will join the PTA, volunteer for our events, and consider joining a committee or serving on the Executive Board.
Key PTA Fundraisers
- Membership Drive (September)
- Holiday Tree Sale & Bake Sale (December)
- Annual Auction (Spring)
- Mother’s & Father’s Day Book Drive (April/May)
- Ross Merchandise: t-shirts, sweatshirts, etc. (year-round)
PTA Funded Events
- Back to School Picnic (September)
- Halloween Spooktacular (October)
- Movie Night on the Ross Field (November)
- Winter Community Event, such as Bingo Night (January)
- End of the Year Picnic (June)
Items Funded/Maintained by the PTA
- All office and classroom supplies for the school so that the principal may hire additional staff not budgeted for by DCPS, such as aides for most classrooms and a full time Spanish teacher.
- Teacher trainings on the latest in literacy, STEM education, and brain-based research.
- Field trips and enrichment experiences that expose Ross students to all that DC has to offer, including partnerships with the Kennedy Center, the National Arts and Humanities Council, the Phillips Collection, Imagination Stage, ReSET Science, and Camp Fraser.
- All classroom technology, including flat-screen TVs for projection in classroom, tablets for certain computer-based curriculum, and teacher laptops.
- All library books (through the Annual Mother’s and Father’s Day Book Drive).
- Website hosting, content and maintenance
- Ross Calendar for families (both paper and online versions)