Welcome to the Kathy Nelick Library at Ross!
The Library at Ross Elementary School underwent a bit of a makeover over the summer of 2017. Freshly painted walls and brand new windows fill the space with lovely natural light. It feels just like a little boutique bookstore
was placed inside of a school. There are currently just over five thousand titles available to our almost one
hundred eighty students. We are continuously updating our collection due to the generous support through our annual Mother’s and Father’s Day Book Sale. This event raises between six and eight thousand dollars. We are proud to add that 100% of the
funds raised go directly to keeping our collection fresh and current.
CALLING ALL ADULT READERS
Do you have a favorite author/book from your country that you would LOVE to share with young readers? Do you personally KNOW an author who would be willing to visit Ross? Please reach out to me at email@example.com so we can discuss the details!
What? Monthly Genre Reading
This year to help children engage in a variety of books we will focus on a feature genre each month. The bulletin board outside of the Library will highlight the month’s genre.
- Increase engagement and independence in reading year-round
- Expose children to different genres in order to diversify their experience
- Peak interest! Build community!
- During Library, books will be introduced and taught into different genres with exciting read alouds.
- At home, students will read at least one book within that genre each month and create a reading response to celebrate their work.
- In the classroom, teachers may invite students to read within the genre during independent reading time.
- During floor-wide morning meetings, classes will share their work that month!
- September – Our Favorite Series
- October – Mysteries
- November/December – Nonfiction
- January – Historical Fiction
- February – Poetry
- March/April – Books about Science
- May – Reflection & Reading across genres